My parents would like to take my children for the weekend or during part of the summer during my extended summer visitation. Do I need the custodial parent’s permission?

Check your court order for restrictions, but generally there are none. During your periods of possession, you have the right to let the children visit their grandparents, spend the night at a friend’s home, or engage in activities as long as they return to the other parent on time. You may allow your parents to take the children on a vacation, even out of state. Avoid misunderstandings by letting the other parent know when the children are traveling with your parents or relatives. Write up the days and locations and contact information to keep everyone on track and informed.

Comment on this FAQ

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *