- Think of a safe place to go if an argument occurs – avoid rooms with no exits (bathroom), or rooms with weapons (kitchen).
- Think about and make a list of safe people to contact.
- Keep change with you at all times.
- Memorize all important numbers.
- Establish a “code word” or “sign” so that family, friends, teachers or co-workers know when to call for help.
- Decide how you can act around the abuser to keep him or her calm. It is usually best not to argue or threaten, although every relationship is different. Remember, you have the right to live without fear and violence.
- Think about what you will say to your partner he or she becomes violent.
Be careful about searching for information or resources online in case your internet activity is being monitored.