What should I do if I think the other parent (or someone who lives with the other parent) may be a danger to my child?

If the danger is immediate, call 911. If the danger is not immediate or serious, talk to the other parent about your concerns. Do not make the issue personal; put the focus on keeping your child safe. Think about what the other parent could do to make you more comfortable with the situation, and come up with a plan together.

If the other parent does not listen to your concerns, and the danger is immediate; call law enforcement. If the danger is not immediate, a protective order may be appropriate. Follow the protective order with a request that the court modify your visitation order. If you think that the child is in serious and immediate danger, contact 911(in the case of an emergency) and/or Child Protective Services at 1 (800)-252-5400 if you believe the child is being abused or neglected.

Talk with an attorney about your options.