What rights do I have at all times?

Unless limited by court order both custodial and noncustodial parents ALWAYS have the right to:

  1. receive information from the other parent about the health, education, and welfare of the child;
  2. confer with the other parent to the extent possible before making a decision concerning the health, education, and welfare of the child;
  3. access medical, dental, psychological, and educational records of the child;
  4. consult with a physician, dentist, or psychologist of the child;
  5. consult with school officials concerning the child’s welfare and educational status, including school activities;
  6. attend school activities;
  7. be listed on the child’s records as an emergency contact;
  8. consent to medical, dental, and surgical treatment during an emergency involving an immediate danger to the health and safety of the child; and
  9. manage the estate of the child to the extent the estate has been created by the parent or the parent’s family.

Sharing Information

You also have the duty (requirement) at all times to inform the other parent of any important information regarding the child’s health, education, and welfare. Unless you have requested confidentiality or that a family violence indicator be placed on your case, court orders require parents to share information with each other regarding their child’s health, education, and welfare. Things that you should ALWAYS tell the other parent include:

  • If you move, your new address (not doing this is a contemptible offense)
  • If you change your phone number (not doing this is a contemptible offense)
  • If you are married to or intend to marry a person who you know is a registered sex offender (not doing this is a Class C misdemeanor)

These requirements to share information apply to parents named in the order. You are not required to give your address if:

  • there was a history of domestic violence; AND
  • your court order does not require you to give your information.
  • The court order may specifically state that the other parent has no right to know your address.

Each of these rights and duties will be outlined in your order. If anyone questions your right to information, such as your child’s medical records, take a copy of your court order with you to the doctor’s office.

Parent tip: Take your court order to your child’s school and ask that it be placed in his or her file. This will make it easier to speak to your child’s teacher or eat lunch with your child at permissible times.

Comment on this FAQ

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *